Next Step is an extension of all schools across the division, providing support and innovative programming for students from grades 1 to 12, as well as adults.
The programs we offer are: Home Education, Jr. and Sr. High Outreach, Night School, Summer School and non-credit courses. We create programming for students during the regular school day, in the evening, during the weekends and in the summer months. A number of our students are accessing blended programs with other schools. Many other students are mature students who need a few credits to graduate or need to upgrade courses to support entrance into post-secondary institutions.
Denise Charbonneau - Assistant Principal, Continuing Education
Ed Gillis - Assistant Principal, Fort Saskatchewan Campus
Karen Ramsey - Assistant Principal, Sherwood Park Campus
Education Revolving Around You
Our caring staff offers flexible programming and scheduling to enable students to have positive and successful learning experiences in alternative settings. We focus on helping students and adults to connect or reconnect with school, create positive personalized learning experiences for all of our students, and assist students in their individual transitions.
We believe that:
- learning is best accomplished when students feel welcomed, safe, accepted and respected.
- many students learn best outside traditional schools.
- every student has the right to access opportunities to experience success.
- learning can occur in a variety of environments.
- every student has the ability to learn.
- success should be individually defined.
- all students need to take ownership of their learning.
At Next Step, our focus in on:
- helping students connect or reconnect with school
- differentiating/personalizing learning opportunities
- assisting students with transitions - junior to senior high, senior to post secondary, high school to work
- All students can learn and experience success.
- A quality education contributes to the emotional, intellectual, physical, and social development of the student.
- Learning is a lifelong process in which education plays a fundamental role.
- Our program must be innovative, flexible, and continuously improving in order to meet the challenges presented by change.
- Integrity, honesty, tolerance, and responsible behaviour must be fundamental in all that we do.
- All students deserve a safe and caring environment.
- Education is the foundation of success.
Facts and Figures
- Next Step opened in 1997 with the purpose of supporting students of EIPS with alternative program delivery options.
- Next Step is comprised of 6 schools supporting almost 2000 students and 1 department providing learning opportunities to 3000 community members.
- Our programs are supported by 32 full time staff members and numerous part time instructors.
- Next Step rents buildings in Vegreville, Fort Saskatchewan and Sherwood Park while also operating programs out of Salisbury high school.
- Next Step programs operate with a budget of 3.5 million.
Thank you for taking time to inquire with us about Home Education.
A recent Alberta Education announcement cancelling Trinity Christian School Association’s accreditation as a private school directly affected students working with Wisdom Home Schooling (FAQ for families). Elk Island Public School’s home education program, provided by Next Step, is accepting new registrations for families impacted by this decision.
Elk Island Public Schools has been offering home education programs for families in Alberta for over 20 years. Through Next Step, Elk Island Public Schools offers parent-directed home education as well as teacher-directed, home-based learning for students prior to starting their high school program.
Families wishing to learn more about registration in one of our programs should contact us at 780-464-1899 to set up a meeting with our teacher liaison.
We look forward to providing you with the freedom and flexibility in designing your child’s home education program with the guidance and support of our educational staff.
Next Step Senior High has campuses in Vegreville, Fort Saskatchewan and Sherwood Park to support students wishing to earn high school credits. Information regarding Next Step schools and all of our programs can be found online.
Principal – Next Step Schools