Next Step is a supportive, alternative junior and senior high school for students who require a non-traditional, individualized program. Located in community-based sites in Sherwood Park, Fort Saskatchewan, and Vegreville, Next Step provides students with:
- a safe, comfortable environment
- flexible, individual schedules
- the opportunity to take responsibility for their own education and to experience success
- excellent teachers and encouraging and respectful staff
Next Step Junior High offers an alternative for junior high education. This alternative junior high provides students with a half day program. Students are organized into groups based on grade level. Students attend classes for half a day, therefore non-academic courses are not offered. Students are encouraged to participate in extracurricular activities to enhance their learning and development.
To provide each student with the individual attention, guidance, and encouragement in order for them to successfully complete their educational goals.
- All students can learn and experience success.
- A quality education contributes to the emotional, intellectual, physical, and social development of the student.
- Learning is a lifelong process in which education plays a fundamental role.
- Our program must be innovative, flexible, and continuously improving in order to meet the challenges presented by change.
- Integrity, honesty, tolerance, and responsible behaviour must be fundamental in all that we do.
- All students deserve a safe and caring environment.
- Education is the foundation of success.
Programs & Services
Next Step schools offer all levels of English Language Arts, Social Studies, Math, and all Sciences required to attain a Diploma or Certificate of Achievement in the province of Alberta. We also have a variety of complementary courses, Work Experience, RAP and Green Certificate available to students. Apart from our specialized complementary courses, Next Step is able to offer most courses from Alberta Education Programs of Study.
Students are involved in setting up their own programs and goals. Attendance and work completion schedules are flexible and are designed to meet individual student needs.
Joseph Clark, Principal, Next Step
Karen Ramsey, Assistant Principal
Next Step Senior High, Sherwood Park
Ed Gillis, Assistant Principal
Next Step Senior High, Fort Saskatchewan
Denise Charbonneau, Assistant Principal
Next Step Continuing Education